• Business Owner

Search the:    Site    Directory

Author Topic: Need Help! I want to start a repacking/packing services  (Read 4270 times)

ladydragon

• Novice
Need Help! I want to start a repacking/packing services
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:39:20 am »
My friend and I are  planning to start a repacking business or be a subcontractor or supplier of hotels and restaurants for their shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, mayonnaise, sugar, coffee, catsup, etc." packed in sachet". We will buy packing machine to repack the said items. Our problem is the permits or requirements by the government agencies aside from business licenses. Is there any other permit required by the government agency like BFAD for this kind of business?

I will appreciate your reply. thanks in advance.

straightforward

• Business guru
  • kikay na entrep
Re: Need Help! I want to start a repacking/packing services
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:17:52 am »
hi
you have to register first your busines with SEC if you are forming a Corporation and DTI if partnership.
If you are doing your own formulation of your products you need to apply for a BFAD. (theres a numerous requirements) log on to their website.
Better help you could find is in the book just recently launch, titled "Ultimate Guide in Starting a Business"
My friend and I are  planning to start a repacking business or be a subcontractor or supplier of hotels and restaurants for their shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, mayonnaise, sugar, coffee, catsup, etc." packed in sachet". We will buy packing machine to repack the said items. Our problem is the permits or requirements by the government agencies aside from business licenses. Is there any other permit required by the government agency like BFAD for this kind of business?

"the best things in life are free" ...you only live once.. make the most out of it

ladydragon

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:17:47 pm »
hi
you have to register first your busines with SEC if you are forming a Corporation and DTI if partnership.
If you are doing your own formulation of your products you need to apply for a BFAD. (theres a numerous requirements) log on to their website.
Better help you could find is in the book just recently launch, titled "Ultimate Guide in Starting a Business"

thanks for your reply.

Actually we will not formulate a product, we will just purchase it in big containers from the food suppliers / manufacturers then re-pack it in sachet.

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:09:57 am »
Hello,

The FoodBytes Website has a step-by-step process for your type of businesses http://foodbytesinfoservices.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=13&Itemid=23.   BFAD also publishes their requirements on their website (http://www.bfad.gov.ph).

Your most important concern is explaining how you are going to do a food and a non-food product in the same machine.  My word of caution: don't!  It is very hard to clean the residue for both even for the best packaging machine, regardless of what your machine dealer claims.   You will only end up using too much time and resource to clean the equipment or end up poisoning the food clients.  It will be better if you maintain two machines, one for food and another for non-food.

Cheers!

Gerel
Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices
www.foodthinktank.com

Join the FoodBytes Forum!

ladydragon

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 12:06:27 pm »
Hello,

The FoodBytes Website has a step-by-step process for your type of businesses http://foodbytesinfoservices.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=13&Itemid=23.   BFAD also publishes their requirements on their website (http://www.bfad.gov.ph).

Your most important concern is explaining how you are going to do a food and a non-food product in the same machine.  My word of caution: don't!  It is very hard to clean the residue for both even for the best packaging machine, regardless of what your machine dealer claims.   You will only end up using too much time and resource to clean the equipment or end up poisoning the food clients.  It will be better if you maintain two machines, one for food and another for non-food.

Cheers!

Gerel

@ Gerel,

Yes, we already considered that concern. We will use separate machine for food and non-food items.  Thanks for your advice.

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 01:53:41 pm »
You're welcome.  Do let us know what happens.

Cheers!

Gerel
Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices
www.foodthinktank.com

photoaddict

• www.facebook.com/tiktilaokPhilippines
  • Business guru
  • Tiktilaok Glass Bottle n Pouches. T#0925.338.3338
    • www.facebook.com/tiktilaokphilippines
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 07:47:48 pm »
additional question for this topic.

how will you deal with suppliers that don't have bfad permit? puwede ba iyon? since mag rerepack lang naman, so no need to get bfad. kasi, its the manufacturer's concern to get the bfad, right? pero nowadays, there are tons of backyard manufacturer of this shampoo, conditionaire, soaps, etc. ok lang kaya iyon? alam ko, its better to get supplies from manufacturer with bfad permit. pero hindi natin maiwasan yun mas mababa na cost from mga walang bfad.

please help with matter naman... thanks!
Tiktilaok Online Store
Dealer of Brand New Glass Jar/Bottles, and Plastic Pouch (with Zip Lock). For your Packaging Needs!
Call: 0925.338.3338

Please Like our Page. Tiktilaok Online Store
www.facebook.com/tiktilaokphilippines

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 05:50:43 pm »
additional question for this topic.

how will you deal with suppliers that don't have bfad permit? puwede ba iyon? since mag rerepack lang naman, so no need to get bfad. kasi, its the manufacturer's concern to get the bfad, right? pero nowadays, there are tons of backyard manufacturer of this shampoo, conditionaire, soaps, etc. ok lang kaya iyon? alam ko, its better to get supplies from manufacturer with bfad permit. pero hindi natin maiwasan yun mas mababa na cost from mga walang bfad.

please help with matter naman... thanks!

Hello photoaddict,

The BFAD permit, though not a guarantee of food safety or quality, is a preliminary step towards ensuring it.   A repacking operation actually still needs a BFAD permit since it is considered as a step in the manufacturing process.  You are considered as an independent agent, hence, you are free from registering the product (if it does not carry your brand) but you will need to get a License to Operate (LTO).

Stepping back a bit, we can see why the laws legislating the BFAD permits was created: there is a large possibility of contamination of dangerous chemicals in a lot of products that can in turn harm the public at large.  For example, if someone manufactures liquid soap (that you will repack) makes the mistake of getting a pH that is above the normal value (very common mistake), it can potentially harm as many people as the number of products you re-packed.  IF you repacked for 10,000 sachets, you have the potential to harm 10,000 people easily.  A person who holds a BFAD permit will normally have the technical know-how or has a staff that checks the critical parameters, at the very least.

The reason why people with BFAD permits costs more is because there is a considerable investment in safety and technical know-how that people without BFAD permits usually do not have.

On the business side, you are limiting your markets also without BFAD permits.  You will be able to sell to small-volume people, but you will definitely not be able to hit the large-volume institutional customers.  The money is in here since your unit overhead costs becomes lower as your volume becomes larger, hence, increasing your margins.

Cheers!

Gerel
Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices
www.foodthinktank.com

photoaddict

• www.facebook.com/tiktilaokPhilippines
  • Business guru
  • Tiktilaok Glass Bottle n Pouches. T#0925.338.3338
    • www.facebook.com/tiktilaokphilippines
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 04:33:28 pm »
how will you deal with some matters naman, kung kulang din information mo? like i heard that a part of the bfad permit is by providing the ingredients/active elements that you used in manufacturing those product? pero the manufacturer won't give you that naman. how will you deal with such problem naman?

btw, thanks for a very informative reply. learned a lot from you talaga. ;)
Tiktilaok Online Store
Dealer of Brand New Glass Jar/Bottles, and Plastic Pouch (with Zip Lock). For your Packaging Needs!
Call: 0925.338.3338

Please Like our Page. Tiktilaok Online Store
www.facebook.com/tiktilaokphilippines

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 09:52:15 am »
Hello,

There are two types of permits usually taken from BFAD.  The first is the LTO or License to Operate which basically allows you to operate your facilities.  The second is the Product Registration that allows you to sell the products to the public.   The former will require mostly the approval of your facilities while the latter requires you to register the products.  As a toll packer, you will usually be required to have just the LTO, unless you put your label on the products, in which case, you will also need the Product Registration.

Cheers!

Gerel
Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices
www.foodthinktank.com