SUBSCRIBE

Print & Digital

• Business Owner

Search the:    Site    Directory

Author Topic: Simple Tips para MAKATIPID for Starting a SARI SARI Store  (Read 44769 times)

moseyo tam

• Novice
Simple Tips para MAKATIPID for Starting a SARI SARI Store
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »
okay, you want to start a small business - a sarisari store. this is based on a true story.

first let me tell you my scenario kasi i am not saying that all these tips will work verbatim in your negosyo.
tips lang po. may mga kamali me kasi at kung gusto mong makatipid, maybe this will help for you.
in my processing of my permit wala naman me naexperience na under the table transactions from the people i was dealing with. dito sa baguio, sa LTO lang naman, based on my experience ang nagkalat mga fixer. sa city hall naman ay i would say is minimal. one experience lang ang isa lang ay yung fireman na gumawa ng fire clearance certificate ko, kasi babayaran mo na sa city hall yung inspection fee nila kaya ibibigay lang yung certificate LIBRE dapat pero may ini-abot siyang envelope sa akin na may "mr. and miss magsayasay elementary school" yung mga contest contest ng mga beauty contest sa mga batang mag-aaral, i gave the kolokoy fireman, P50 and he gave me the certificate. and yung sewer certificate na ayaw ibigay sa akin dahil di raw legal ang sewer connection namin sa pwesto ng business. kumbaga nakaconnect kami sa kanal pero di raw legal ang connection. i am instructed to pay P1,250 (legalization fee daw oh) + P1,000 para sa saniatation engineer to inspect kuno. anyway, pumunta ako mismo sa head ng office at tinanung kung totoo pinagsasabi ni mr.kolokoy2 at yun, kinausap ko yung pinakaboss ng division at tinawag si mr.kolokoy2 sa office nya at kami tatlo nag-usap usap at tama nga daw na ganun ang babayaran. eh kung mismo na boss ang nagsabi kaya binayaran ko na nga.

i am renting a stall space, P5,000/month excluding city services. about 6 feet by 10 feet located in a community in baguio city but the owner said, i will just tell to the authorities, i am not renting, i am just a "relative" so i dont pay any rental fees. this is because my landlord doesnt have a business permit too hehehe. nagpapa rent siya ng 5 rooms pero wala siyang permit at ayaw nyang mabuko. mautak din ang landlord na eto.

so all forms that i have signed that asked how much is my rental fee?
i always write "P0.00/month - not renting" so marami nagtatanong, from the
very start na kumuha ako ng form to engage in a business sa city hall tinanong una yun, sabi "hindi ako
umuupa, ang lola ko at nanay ng may-ari ng bahay ay magkapatid." sa bir, when i register my business, tinanung ulit pag akoy umuupa, sabi hindi na naman. pero pinagawa ako ng BIR ng certification from the
house owner na hindi ako umuupa. madali lang naman "this is to certify that i, mrs [mayaman] is the owner
of this house located at xxx road, yyy brgy baguio city and that mr [moi20503618] is staying at my house and that HE IS NOT RENTING for the use of a room. etc etc. sedula no. xxxx signed mrs [mayaman] ganun lang and tapos na. nung pumunta ako sa cityhall, natapos na fire, sanitary, city architects etc. may pumunta ng taga cityhall sa pwesto at tinanung na naman ang kung umuupa, syempre hindi na naman. hanggang sa matapos. dun lang me sa real property taxes medyo sumablay kasi hindi naniniwala ata yung taga cityhall sa estorya kung kamag-anak ko ang may ari ng bahay yet magkaiba naman apelyido hehehe pero pinirmahan pa rin naman yung form. talagang, naguilty lang ako dat time, hinuhuli nya ata ako at mahirap po talaga magsinungaling. hehehe.

tip#1-ONE IS ENOUGH. TWO IS TOO MANY. the form will ask you where is your residence address and business address right? hmm, don't write 2 addresses. just write one.  in reality i live in brookspoint and my business is in sto.nino brgy so what happened is that, i have to pay 2 separate garbage fees. kasi magkaiba raw. kung ang residence at business location ay iisa, then i dont have to pay 2 separate garbage fees. asar.

now i know. do you remember, that pag may truck ng basura we just basura and basura and
we are not paying anything? sure we pay our taxes but not literal na we pay garbage fees eh pag nagnegosyo ka na ay sisingilin ka na pala. bwisit.

tip#2-DONT TELL THE REAL DATE. in reality the business started october 2008, so when the pipol in city hall inspected the business site, my mom who was there (i was in my sayote garden kasi) told them the the business started october 2008, mahirap nga naman magsinungaling, eh dapat she must have told january 2009 business started para tipid. [its february 2009 now] ang nangyari pati mga sewerage/garbage fees sa 2008 ay ipinabayad pa sa akin. bwisit again.

tip#3-LOWER YOUR CAPITAL INVESTMENT. the city hall have there own bracket and taxation scheme for the payment of taxes for the initial capital investment. so the higher capital, the higher your taxes will be. originally i wrote P12,000 as my initial investment, kasi nga pag naggrocery naman ako ng mga benta benta ay eh, 3-4 kartoons lang more than P5,000 na ang halaga. well, a karinderia owner/neighbor/friend told me that investment is too high. so I changed it to P6,000.make it real low. at least convincing naman of course.

tip#4-HIDE YOUR INVENTORIES WHEN THEY'LL COME.hehehe. you know what, the city hall girl said they will come check the place in tuesday, but they actually came wednesday hahaha style nila, nanghuhuli pa!!! and, anyway, tapos na ang moro-moro. nakaset-up na place.i just show em real little, as in litlle inventory. hehehe. so nung nakita yung store, anung ginawa sa investigation report nila? the P6,000 initial investment was CHECK.hehehe. akala ko nga iisa isahin yung mga benta kung bibilahin at pag mas mataas total value (which is in fact true mas marami) ay papalitan nila ang value pero di naman. in fact napakasimple at mabilis ang pag inspect nila.

tip#5-NOW YOU SELL, NOW YOU DONT.as we all know, selling cigarettes and liquors requires a separate permit.so thats dagdag gastos. so even if i sell those, (i have to sell, them, as majority of my sales actually comes from selling those things) i have to hide them because the city hall girls actually asked and checked if i do have cigarettes and liquours for sale. of course nandun sa nakatago ah yung mga iyon kaya di me nahulian. what is so funny is that during that time of the investigation, walang bumili ng sigarilyo. funny. what a real coincidence. imagine my lying tongue that i told them i dont sell cigarettes tapos biglang, kuya pabili marlboro green while the two cityhall girls were there, e di SUPER BUKINGKING pero yun nga, amazing talaga, never na may bumili that time at nakaligtas me. another sub-tip actually is that, you can just write a poster on your store that says "NO LIQUOR, NO CIGARETTE" at ligtas ka na para yung kapitbahay ko sa brookspoint na may store, may poster kasi siyang "NO LIQUOR, NO CIGARETTE."

that's all folks. yan muna. more saving tips as this negosyo goes on....

moseyo tam

• Novice
Re: Simple Tips para MAKATIPID for Starting a SARI SARI Store
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:05:57 PM »
by the way, if you are interested in setting up an internet cafe, please read the blog of mr. chazper.
i know i know, this site is supposed to be on sari sari store, e malay natin may balak ka rin magnesgosyo ng internet cafe. and i am telling you, mr. chazper has the best resource and information about setting up an internet cafe in the eyes of a guy who had an internet cafe and lots of ideas in his blog site.

read his posts on these web link:
http://chazper.wordpress.com/2006/09/08/things-to-know-before-putting-up-an-internet-cafe-business-competitors-philippines/

and you can read my story also on this web link:
http://chazper.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/msl25-icafe-experience-at-sari-saring-kwento/

for your information my first plan of business was an internet cafe actually. but that was before when i had the resources e ngayon sabit na rin me sa financial crisis. i used to have P180K more or less capital before but after more than a year of being jobless, going job hunting to manila, apply here apply there, courting girls (busted naman lagi), going out with barkadas, etc. etc. well now i only have 50K now. hence i started this sari sari store.

and here we go,
here are the taxes/payments paid at the mayor's office [done in the city of baguio, circa 2009] in the application of a business permit for a sari sari store business with an initial capital of P6,000.

in the receipt, i had a "fund account code" amounting to P54,000, this was listed as my gross receipts for the year, you see, i dont declare my gross, the city hall officials will be the one to say what is to say hahaha, and my tax due is P1,485. by virtue of snooping around withe fellow applicants, of course to make sense, only with those businesses of sari sari store para consistent as we know iba naman ang tax rates for businesses like coffeshops, apartment lessors, bar and resto, etc. and i saw a lady with a gross of P109,500 per year and her tax due is P2,805.

by the way, what i am referring to both amounts are for gross receipts the city hall employess quoted and not including mayors permit fees, sanitary, fire, sewerage, garbage, etc as they are mostly constant. our main concern is to learn what is the "tax chart" of the city employees since we dont know anyone of them in there hence this study. by the way, just for information i have paid the following in securing my business permit: (Transportation,photocopying and meals not included)

notary fee for the application to engage in business form-150
health certificate for sanitary permit-25
city building and architects office-50
bir registration-500
bir certification-115
sewer certificate-2250
residential sewer fee-480
city business permit-3339
dti registration-315
------------------------------
rought estimate = P7224
=================

if without that bloated sewer certificate expense brohaha it would total to P4974

printing of resibo??? -unknown amount, to be accomplished next week.

as you can see, the sewer certificate was bloated P2,250 was spent but if nothing went wrong there [my landlord's fault but still i was to shoulder], the real expense would be really P50.

so back to the issue, so using simple mathematics 101, we will come to arrive that the basic charge for the city in business tax in my sari sari store business is 2.75% of my gross. (1485 / 54000 = 0.0275) and also for the lady is 2.56% (2805/109500 = 0.0256). whoa what do we have here now? i was actually taxed 2.75% of my gross and the other sari sari store owner was taxed 2.56%. anyway its safe to say that the city is taxing us at max rate of 2.75% and they are pretty sure using a BRACKET SCHEME coz both of our tax due should have the same rate but not in this case so they are pretty much using a min and max gross chart table and then they tax our ass base on that amount with a predetermined tax rate.

jhaypatts

• Your Accountant in Business
  • Full time entrepreneur
    • GPL & Co.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
thanks sa thread/ +10 ka

birchtree

• Part-time entrepreneur
    • Handwoven Blankets
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:40:34 PM »
thanks for this post. my kumare has a small sari-sari store (as in small), and the employees at the treasury office set her monthly gross income to P6,000/month, so that's P72,000/year. They also said that they would increase it next year.

Question: is it proper for them to set her gross sales? where do they base that comp*tation? gusto daw sana niyang itanong iyon, pero naaalangan siya kasi the last time nagtanong siya, tinaasan ang mga bayarin niya. Actually, it's not just her, it also happened sa iba kong kakilala.

sting ray

• Part-time entrepreneur
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 09:11:51 PM »
It has become a bad practice for the city treasurer's employees to dictate on the gross sales of the business although in the application for renewal you state your gross sales. However, if you have the complete records and you can support your claim for gross sales, you can execute an affidavit about your actual gross sales and the city hall has no choice but to accept it. However, again, they will get back at you by examining your business. That is why you have to make sure that you have the supporting books of accounts to show.
This bad practice by the city hall is all over the country. Unless you complain, they will dictate on you. Calling the attention of the DILG and the DOF. Please do something for the good of the businesses.

stingray

jhaypatts

• Full time entrepreneur
    • GPL & Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »
Part of our Gov't responsibility is to serve us. They have to collect taxes and fees in return of there services to the people. Business establishments in cities here in Metro Manila must be aware of the policies and guidelines sets in each cities.

For example

Trading for example like in QC = 400K a year vs Actual of 360K
        Here, the government will based on their policies wherein they will go on 400k Basis

Trading for example like in QC = 400K a year vs Actrual of 420K
        Here, the Government will based on 420k.

As per policies, it was clear that any policies that involves more advantage to gov't is their basis.
"Whichever is Higher"

I noticed that having 72k a year is already in a below minimum. Try to know the minimum set in city/Municipality i your place. the follow the the example.

THanks.

I-Entreprenuer mo!!!

moseyo tam

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
***RESIBO UPDATE***

this is an update to the resibo update and they resibo costs P850 for a 20 booklets. minimum volmume na daw un for a resibo. di na rin ako nakaporma. each booklets have 50 leaves so that's 1000 pieces of resibos. roughly P0.85centavos per resibo. i dont know if this is a good deal coz i didnt canvass any other vendor. one of the taga BIR employee who happens to be a classmate of me back in college said sila na daw bahala so ganun na nga ibinigay ko na sa kanila yung papers. e medyo ayoko ng magcanvass canvass hehehe. sori. anyway, the procedure for a resiblo is pretty straight forward naman, just fillup this form 1906 that reads like [im not sure about the exact title] "Application for Authority to Print Invoices" and there you go,after filling up xerox both your BIR certificate of registration and the P500 paid BIR registration form.

anyway, there is something wrong that I did in which is the REAL DEAL ALL ABOUT "Simple Tips para MAKATIPID for Starting a SARI SARI Store" is that the real No.1 tip is this

ULTIMATE NO.1 TIPID TIP = Go to DTI first and foremost  and have your business trade name registered. even if you still doesnt have your business set up first, just go to DTI first para makatipid at dina magkaproblema later.

Hay naku you see, the city hall [baguio city that is, i dont know about other places] did not require me to have a DTI application, so is our BIR office. so why would i go to DTI in the first place. its not a requirement so why bother, as in gastos lang yan. anyway, what happened is that, well, my mistake really. i should have gotten to DTI first. the problem arised when i went to have my invoice printed and the problem is that in my certificate of registration in the BIR, my name was just listed as the trade name. [i.e. Juan Dela Cruz Sari sari store] ,by the way, i attended a 1hr+ "seminar" at the BIR before they gave me the certification, what was discussed was about tax payments/comnp*tations... and i already went to DTI and had my business name registered eh nagkaproblema coz the original name i thought would be permitted was not approved by the DTI girl so i had to change a new name so what happened is that, my exclassmate at BIR said they had a problem with my invoice sample [i designed it myself, there was a debate actually on this forum also what to be printed on our resibos, is it SALES INVOICE or OFFICIAL RECEIPTS, nah I would really have it made CASH SALES INVOICE OFFICIAL RECEIPT but noh... i just made it OFFICIAL RECEIPT]  and my BIR certification coz they dont have same name. darn. so she asked my DTI business name registration and i gave it to her, they'll just change my BIR certificate of registration na lang daw para my DTIname = BIR  = INVOICES. so that's the update. they didnot ask any additional payment naman so i left. i tetext na lang daw nya pag natapos.

so the lesson here is that, HAVE YOUR DTI NAME REGISTERED FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE!!!

sting ray

• Part-time entrepreneur
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 07:23:27 PM »
In all of my advises, I always start with DTI registration of business name. Sometimes, this is overlooked, just like in your case. The BIR should have asked for your trade name before your invoice was printed.

stingray

reneegado

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »
Give some more good example.  So simple as karindeya.

moseyo tam

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:25:55 PM »
i already have my invoice. i paid P850. i had my own version of my resibo sample but when they gave it to me, it was modified. i just shrug it off. obviosly i wasnt impressed with the work. first, i wanted "OFFICIAL RECEIPT" but what was printed was "SALES INVOICE" and
my design was not followed. obviously, they just use the sample invoice for their previous printing and just changed the letterhead and viola, tipid gastos nga naman sa kanila. but im not impressed with their work. ang labnaw pa ng print.

and i also have my business permit. completo na. with the permit, business plate number, everything. total gastos lahat lahat is P8,091.

anyway, your heard the man, "stingray" of his advice of going first and foremost to the DTI before anything else when starting a business so guys follow that advice.

so let us continue our tip making stories for a sari-sari store.
my apologies to "reneegado" no tips on karenderia yet coz i have no experience with that kind of business. hopefully i'll be winning the PCSO lotto so sege, i will venture in the food business. but since i will super rich that time, i will probably just make it a hobby - a 100% no cheating, no lying, no fake promotion, no excuses, AS IN, true to the heart, ala like those taiwanese restaurants that you will really get super busog "EAT ALL YOU CAN" restaurant.

anyway, forget that lotto thing. so let's back to reality. lets continue our tips.

tip#6-JIT. Just-in-time inventory management. I remember back in college, there was a topic about the JIT inventory system told by one of my accounting teacher. All i remember is that this system reduces inventory overhead so we can employ this thing to our store. (sort of)
anyway, what is this? well, lets ask wikipedia.com for a more technical definition-

Just-in-time (JIT) is an inventory strategy implemented to improve the return on investment of a business by reducing in-process inventory and its associated carrying costs.

ohh! yeah. what? hehehe. anyway, i have a little story about this, i have a daily buyer of dutchmill. some kind of a milk/yugort drink. anyway, this young lady is a continuous buyer, like every morning of the week, that's all she buys in my store, so for me, it's like i hated always buying this thing in the grocery (i buy maybe 10pcs only) so i just bought 2 cartoons of it and anyway, what really happened is that after a week, the girl was gone. i dunno. she must have transferred to another boarding house or school. so what happened was that i had trouble selling all those dutchmill(whatever) and after two months, the product was EXPIRED. as in. i have soooo many dutchmill. what will i do? well, this is of course a loss. anyway, i drank em all. coz it's only me who has the stomach and courage to drink them all. my mother is afraid.haha. chicken.

so the moral of the story actually is that, sometimes, we want to have as many inventories so that we wont be purchasing here and there but then what if they werent sold right away? tuloy ang dami nating tambak. eh limited space pa naman tayo. additional gastos right? we are renting remember! so we must have a good inventory but not so many inventory. it has something with forecasting so you must have a good knowledge of how your inventory movements works.

moseyo tam

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »
tip#7-UNDERSTATE YOUR INCOME FOR THE TAXMAN. i dont know if this is really a tip coz it's jaz basic instinct to do this. haha. screw you BIR. screw you GMA. anyway, lets talk about it. i have started my business feb2009 and i paid P279 for my monthly percentage tax which is 3% of gross income. i listed P9200 as my income for the month of february and for the march percentage tax, i lowered it, i paid P240 stating my monthly gross as P8000. of course both figures are estimates only. what happened is that, i spied on my karibal na store sa kabila how much she is paying to the bir. hehehe. well, i think i am really paying too much. and here comes the result of "oplan: taxtingin" the karibal is paying P129! what??? huh??? duh??? that karibal store of mine is a lot bigger than my store. they have 2x inventories than mine! and i am sure mas malaki kita nya kesa sa akin and  they are paying P129???? so that makes P129 divided by 0.03 = 4300. what? 4300 lang ang gross nya per month. oh so uncle tom cruise mission imposible naman. so for the month of april 09, bababaan ko pa binabayaran ko sa bir. remember these bir payments are self-assessed so pwede. tingnan mo naman, sa taxi ni inay, fixed na P160 binabayaran niya per month sa BIR, e sa tingin ko mas malaki ang kita talaga ng taxi kesa sari sari store eh bakit mas mataas binabayaran ng store kesa sa taxi sa monthly percentage tax? kaya i therefore conclude, babaan ko pa ang binabayaran kong percentage tax.

*the next topic not related to tips but this is a question and im asking an opinion about this*
my problem is that, am i missing something on my accounting of the store? note that i am not using sample figures here but REAL amounts so as the state the truality (is there such a word) and clarity of the situation. monthly operation goes like these and here is the problem:

february:......Sales.........vs.......Purchases.........gross income
....................P68978..... vs...... P102240...........33262
march:.........P135350.....vs........127640...........7710

for the month of february, you can see i achieved a gross of 33,262 which is not actually real, impossible coz where did that money go??? hehehe. i dont have that. take into consideration my total monthly operational expenses is P6200+ so i knew, i may have not listed really
correcly all my purchases. so in the next month i became more carefull in my books and there it goes, a gross income of 7710. much more realistic in anyway. i use a simple book. in that book, i just use 3 columns-
start & ending cash for the day + sales + purchases of the day
and most of the time, i cant get to reconcile it. my idea is that, if i am really careful and if im able to capture all the transactions then nothing will go wrong with this method. anyway, for two months palpak. always something not reconciling in the amounts in my collection vs my books. is something wrong with this method? should i use the accounting for goods sold taught at school na

Purchases
+beginning inventory
-ending invetory
=cost of goods sold

but how the heck i am gonna use this in my books? or in the store. i dont count my inventory at all. so how can i list my beginning and ending inventoy. enggg!!! anyway, is there any other method used that you do guys? or i am just not listing all my purchases/expenses that's why i cant get to reconcile the money in the bag vs the money in the book???

jhaypatts

• Full time entrepreneur
    • GPL & Co.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »
 ;)

greyish

• things i love doing
  • Novice
  • Entrepreneur reader
    • things i love doing
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »
sir moseyo tam..ques po..probably one of the dumbest question ul encounter...

i was wondering lang kasi na diba even sari-sari store diba merong OR..and in your case Sales invoice ung naprint sa inyo...sino iniisyuhan nyo ng receipts/sales invoice. since sari-sari store naman po yon. normally people will not ask for receipts. so paano nauubos ung receipt nyo

sting ray

• Part-time entrepreneur
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »
kung hindi humihingi ang mga customers and you are supposed to issue receipts, at the end of the day, mag issue ka ng invoices sa mga fictitious na tao and the amounts will coincide with your sales for the day.
because of this, bir now wants the issuer of invoices to also indicate the TIN of the buyer. that will make your life difficult dahil saan mo hahanapin the TIN ng mga customers mo kung hindi nila alam ang TIN nila or wala talaga silang TIN. LOL.
of course, this applies only to big stores and not to sari sari stores.

stingray

inadedios

• Novice
  • Entrepreneur reader
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »
sir bka interested kayo sa retail na all in one reloading

P300 lang, u can use with any sim card that you have... i rregister lang, may kasama pang flyers ng price list, product line, etc.... a tarpaulin costs only P40

globe, smart, sun, red, skycable prepaid, internet prepaid, internet gaming, mrt, etc. more than 300+ products

Example:  P100 globe load, will only cost you P89.

you can load your "wallet" through the distributor mismo, or through BDO, BPI, Metrobank... whichevers more convenient for you

email me if you're interested 0905-413-1978