th images menu user export search eye clock list list2 arrow-left untitled twitter facebook googleplus instagram cross photos entrep-logo-svg

Author Topic: How to Choose a Franchise !  (Read 153553 times)

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
Re: How to Choose a Franchise !
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 07:51:56 pm »
Hello,

Is this the one by SVFCI?

Cheers!

Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices

face faces

• Novice
  • Entrepreneur reader
    • small negosyo
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 08:58:09 pm »
Super Value? Yes. What do you mean by "cheers!"

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 12:45:53 am »
Super Value? Yes. What do you mean by "cheers!"
Hello,

I have not really tasted/seen the products of Make it Queck, nor have I met anyone from Super Value.   Would you know where they are located?  I can help if I have at least seen the product.

I put "Cheers!" at the end of my messages instead of putting a longer "Have A Nice Day".

Cheers!

Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices

face faces

• Novice
  • Entrepreneur reader
    • small negosyo
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 01:04:28 pm »
I thought "cheers" means a good franchise business. Kasi parang mahal masyado ung bentahan nila.

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 02:04:02 am »
Hello,

It's ok.   I get a lot of that since I started using it about a year ago.

Cheers!

Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices

jhoelle

• Novice
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 05:36:37 pm »
I'm also interest with this one. Kaya lang baka mapuno natin ng buong metro manila nyan kasi P15,000 lang ang franchise! hehehe... Advertisement deleted.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 05:10:04 pm by maneki_neko »

maneki_neko

• Business guru
  • I'm in the desert making desserts .... ;)
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 05:08:40 pm »
REMINDER FROM MODERATOR:

The topic here is "How to choose a franchise".  Please do not post franchising companies or any product advertisement in this thread.  We will delete your post.  Thank you. 

Topic has been split and moved to "Country Style Donuts, Ogie Dogie, etc. - Split topic from another thread".
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 05:27:37 pm by maneki_neko »

Pinoy Networker

• Business guru
  • 1% effort x 100 people > 100% effort x me
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 08:04:49 am »
Did you have an SSOP?   An HACCP plan?

Pardon the ignorance sir but... what do SSOP and HACCP stand for?  SSOP = Safety SOP?

Just wanted to learn.  Tnx.
 :)

Hello,

SSOP stands for Standard Sanitary Operating Procedures.   While HACCP stands for Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points.   Both of these are food safety requirements (international) and is being pushed as part of the Food Safety Requirements to be implemented by BFAD and DTI.   Most professional franchises already have this embedded into their franchise manuals, though these are usually called with different names, depending on the institution.

If you need more info, please contact me: gerelroa@gmail.com

Cheers!

Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices

I visited the Agraryo Trade Fair at the SM Megamall yesterday and there was a 1-hour talk on HACCP.  So para pala'ng ISO rin ito where your business can get certified to ensure customers you've met certain standards (GMP, SSOP, etc)  with regards to food business.  Just like ISO, madugo rin pala (with standards and documentation) and at the moment medyo konti pa lang companies (mostly known franchises) ang compliant sa Pilipinas as well as accredited auditors. 

Pinoy Networker

• Business guru
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:21 am »
Franchises like McDo and Jollibee are expensive bcause you know that those 2 have already proven that when you start a franchise, you get your ROI and you will have a successful business for years, even decades.

But still these franchises are governed by 3 important factors... LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
Dito nga sa marketplace sa Kalentong may nagsara na franchises ng KFC and Greenwich (another company of Jollibee foods).

Pinoy Networker

• Business guru
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 11:42:57 am »
So, you see, while location certainly counts, it's still the system of a franchise that will determine its success.

Pero yung Greenwich ang example ko which is just like Chowking, under Jollibee corp na di ba? So shouldn't they be under one managment style... or system?

denjie

• Novice
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 01:36:23 am »
Hello,
To those who are interested in franchising a food cart, please beware and make sure of the following:

1.  LESSON 1: If it’s a promo or the franchise is cheap, check if there's a catch.

I recently purchased a promo (2 streetcarts with the equipment for the price of around P/ 55,000) last Sept 2, 2006 from ALL U NEED Enterprises.  I thought the company was/is reputable because it was offering many products(siopao, siomai, fries, hotdog, etc).  But unfortunately, my experience with them so far has been HORRIBLE.

Aside from the many delays before they actually delivered the food cart, the equipment were delivered at a later date and most of them were  either rusty or defective! The siopao steamer was leaking, the griddles were rusty, the glass juicer was leaking, the light for the food cart was not working . .. .

The supposed trainor merely asked my sister (who received the equipment) for sandpaper to remove the rust from the griddle.  Then when he used the griddle, the table top of the food cart got burnt!  And to make matters more irritating, he merely suggested that the cart needs repainting (at our expense and inconvenience).

Now, we texted and called the company's representative to complain and they sent an electrician to check the equipment and he said the griddle was defective and dangerous to use.  The company promised to have someone sent over to repaint the damaged and burnt food cart (caused by their trainor).  They sent somebody to replace the steamer, the juicer but not the griddle.

When I called last Friday (Oct 20) and asked their representative why most of the equipment they sent were defective, she just kept apologizing.  I asked why they didn’t check the equipment before delivering them to us and her reply was: because WE (us) were in a hurry, and because they wanted to get the equipment first thing in the morning to us, they NO LONGER GOT the chance to check the equipment!

My husband also called them that Friday and he was promised that the defective griddle would be replaced.  He also asked for a meeting with the owners of the company.

Last Monday (Oct 23) we met with the owners to complain about their lousy service.  After so many excuses,(they were "clueless" about our case, problems with the supplier , it was the first time it happened to them -- one damaged equipment, we can say its a lemon or a fluke BUT MOST OF THE EQUIPMENT WERE DEFECTIVE etc)  they eventually promised to replace the griddle. We told them that the new juicer that they sent us was again leaking. And they promised again to replace it as well as the damaged cart.

2.  LESSON 2: Before signing a contract, first make sure that it is stipulated there   how things will be delivered, setup and commissioned.  Check if they have  performance requirements in the delivery of the biz project to its full operation on time as well as it's penalty  for its delay and failure including  insurance to  your  operational loses with the facility rental (quoting from the advice of an Entreplink member, Mr. Ohrlie)

Part II of my nightmare story:  Oct 24, holiday, I get a text message from the company's representatives informing me that they are at our shop and ready to replace the damaged food cart.  I sent my sister to accommodate them since I was in a meeting. 

I get another text message from my sister that one of the company’s guys brought sand paper and was starting to remove (again!) the rust from the two griddles.  I called and asked to talk to the representative.  I told her their owners have promised to replace the griddles. 

The representative was insisting that the two griddles were working fine, all we had to do was place something underneath it so as the table top of the food cart wont burn again!  I told them THEIR electrician told us that it was defective.  I asked them point blank: Will u replace the griddles or not, and she said "NO". 

Now in my head I was thinking: Are these people actually taking us for fools - first their electrician says its defective, and now these two people are insisting the griddles are working fine when one of them was the one who actually burnt the table top in the first place! First the owners say they would replace it, now they are saying they wont,. . .)

I rushed to the shop and on the way spoke to the representative again, she asked me who was the electrician who told us that the griddle was defective.  I told her - why is she asking me, don’t u have records of people you send to your customers?! 

Then she told me that the electrician who came and told us that the griddle was defective WAS NOT QUALIFIED to say so because he is only the electrician for the food cart light (apparently, she knew who the electrician was in the first place!).  She said they already reprimanded him - I asked her, was he a representative of your company, and she said yes but only for the food cart light. .. . I told her the owners promised that they would replace the griddle and they should have informed us about this new information in our previous meeting:  The electrician we sent wasn’t qualified to say the griddle was defective, we will send a new one to check the equipment and see if they need replacing or not.

(And ASSUMING, the griddles were not defective as they insist, we will be cooking food on it so the RUST that they have been trying to remove for two sessions already, is not a good sign either)

When I got to the shop, they started saying they would replace the griddles already.  She said she was not advised by their owners about it because she left early the day before.  I told her - your company seems to have internal communication problems.  And they have been wasting our time with their delays and now this - I had to rush to meet them and leave my meeting because they said they wont replace the griddles and they are just removing the rust with sandpaper!

Anyway, that was the final straw for me and  I decided I didn't want to be part of their company anymore. It was the culmination of all their inefficiencies and lousy service and poor quality control and poor management style (communication, miscommunication, the bosses being "CLUELESS". . . ).I asked them to leave all the damaged cart/equipment (whatever was left from the ones they have already replaced) and sent them a letter asking for a refund and then, by all means they can take their food carts and equipment (damaged and sub-standard as they are)

Remember, I paid Sept 2 and until now, have not been able to start operations because of delays in getting the food cart, then delays in getting the complete equipment, and then delays again because most were defective. Despite the meeting with the owners on Monday (Oct 23) and their promises, the following day (Oct  24), they were again singing a different tune!

I sent my letter asking for a refund last Oct 24 and I have not heard anything from their company.   But just imagine the stress and inconvenience this company has caused me. But I figured, I have been through so much headaches with this company already when I haven’t even started the business - what's the point of continuing the franchise agreement?!  What's the point of promoting a company that you have had horrible experiences from?  I have lost my trust in that company and my personal experience so far is that it is bad business and bad service. 

As for getting our money back. . . . I remember what the owners said to us in our Oct 23rd meeting when we were complaining of their bad service: that they . . . "only earned P/ 8,000 from the money we paid for the promo".  I don’t know what that's supposed to mean and why exactly they had to tell us that when we are their customers who HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY OF OUR MONEY'S WORTH (P/ 55,000 (almost)) - promo or not promo.

Hope others can learn from my experience. . .

Thanks,
Denjie

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 09:35:20 pm »
Hello,

This just goes to show that there is a problem with the "industry".   We see a lot of those instant food cart businesses that "franchise" their products without actually going through the process of creating a good business system going before plunging in for the quick buck.

Unfortunately, this scenario is not an isolated one and there are more of them out there.   I suggest you do two things:
1. File a formal complaint with DTI, SEC and BIR.   If you can manage it, file a complaint with BFAD also.   This method of running a business is not at all acceptable by Philippine Standards and filing complaints to these four government agencies will force the franchisor to shape up or get out.   In any case, these are the government agencies that are in control of their business.

2. File a court case.   I'm not privy to the actual details of the contract, but any major delays of that nature costs you money that you are not earning.   I guess you are very much entitled to loss of your capital, operational expenses (if any overhead exists) and lost earnings.   The company who gave the franchise is definitely liable for your losses if the fault is proven to be theirs.

I hope this helps.   If you need more advice, just let us know.

Cheers!

Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices
https://www.foodbytesinfoservices.com.ph

Hello,
To those who are interested in franchising a food cart, please beware and make sure of the following:

1.  LESSON 1: If it’s a promo or the franchise is cheap, check if there's a catch.

I recently purchased a promo (2 streetcarts with the equipment for the price of around P/ 55,000) last Sept 2, 2006 from ALL U NEED Enterprises.  I thought the company was/is rep*table because it was offering many products(siopao, siomai, fries, hotdog, etc).  But unfortunately, my experience with them so far has been HORRIBLE.

Aside from the many delays before they actually delivered the food cart, the equipment were delivered at a later date and most of them were  either rusty or defective! The siopao steamer was leaking, the griddles were rusty, the glass juicer was leaking, the light for the food cart was not working . .. .

The supposed trainor merely asked my sister (who received the equipment) for sandpaper to remove the rust from the griddle.  Then when he used the griddle, the table top of the food cart got burnt!  And to make matters more irritating, he merely suggested that the cart needs repainting (at our expense and inconvenience).

Now, we texted and called the company's representative to complain and they sent an electrician to check the equipment and he said the griddle was defective and dangerous to use.  The company promised to have someone sent over to repaint the damaged and burnt food cart (caused by their trainor).  They sent somebody to replace the steamer, the juicer but not the griddle.

When I called last Friday (Oct 20) and asked their representative why most of the equipment they sent were defective, she just kept apologizing.  I asked why they didn’t check the equipment before delivering them to us and her reply was: because WE (us) were in a hurry, and because they wanted to get the equipment first thing in the morning to us, they NO LONGER GOT the chance to check the equipment!

My husband also called them that Friday and he was promised that the defective griddle would be replaced.  He also asked for a meeting with the owners of the company.

Last Monday (Oct 23) we met with the owners to complain about their lousy service.  After so many excuses,(they were "clueless" about our case, problems with the supplier , it was the first time it happened to them -- one damaged equipment, we can say its a lemon or a fluke BUT MOST OF THE EQUIPMENT WERE DEFECTIVE etc)  they eventually promised to replace the griddle. We told them that the new juicer that they sent us was again leaking. And they promised again to replace it as well as the damaged cart.

2.  LESSON 2: Before signing a contract, first make sure that it is stipulated there   how things will be delivered, setup and commissioned.  Check if they have  performance requirements in the delivery of the biz project to its full operation on time as well as it's penalty  for its delay and failure including  insurance to  your  operational loses with the facility rental (quoting from the advice of an Entreplink member, Mr. Ohrlie)

Part II of my nightmare story:  Oct 24, holiday, I get a text message from the company's representatives informing me that they are at our shop and ready to replace the damaged food cart.  I sent my sister to accommodate them since I was in a meeting. 

I get another text message from my sister that one of the company’s guys brought sand paper and was starting to remove (again!) the rust from the two griddles.  I called and asked to talk to the representative.  I told her their owners have promised to replace the griddles. 

The representative was insisting that the two griddles were working fine, all we had to do was place something underneath it so as the table top of the food cart wont burn again!  I told them THEIR electrician told us that it was defective.  I asked them point blank: Will u replace the griddles or not, and she said "NO". 

Now in my head I was thinking: Are these people actually taking us for fools - first their electrician says its defective, and now these two people are insisting the griddles are working fine when one of them was the one who actually burnt the table top in the first place! First the owners say they would replace it, now they are saying they wont,. . .)

I rushed to the shop and on the way spoke to the representative again, she asked me who was the electrician who told us that the griddle was defective.  I told her - why is she asking me, don’t u have records of people you send to your customers?! 

Then she told me that the electrician who came and told us that the griddle was defective WAS NOT QUALIFIED to say so because he is only the electrician for the food cart light (apparently, she knew who the electrician was in the first place!).  She said they already reprimanded him - I asked her, was he a representative of your company, and she said yes but only for the food cart light. .. . I told her the owners promised that they would replace the griddle and they should have informed us about this new information in our previous meeting:  The electrician we sent wasn’t qualified to say the griddle was defective, we will send a new one to check the equipment and see if they need replacing or not.

(And ASSUMING, the griddles were not defective as they insist, we will be cooking food on it so the RUST that they have been trying to remove for two sessions already, is not a good sign either)

When I got to the shop, they started saying they would replace the griddles already.  She said she was not advised by their owners about it because she left early the day before.  I told her - your company seems to have internal communication problems.  And they have been wasting our time with their delays and now this - I had to rush to meet them and leave my meeting because they said they wont replace the griddles and they are just removing the rust with sandpaper!

Anyway, that was the final straw for me and  I decided I didn't want to be part of their company anymore. It was the culmination of all their inefficiencies and lousy service and poor quality control and poor management style (communication, miscommunication, the bosses being "CLUELESS". . . ).I asked them to leave all the damaged cart/equipment (whatever was left from the ones they have already replaced) and sent them a letter asking for a refund and then, by all means they can take their food carts and equipment (damaged and sub-standard as they are)

Remember, I paid Sept 2 and until now, have not been able to start operations because of delays in getting the food cart, then delays in getting the complete equipment, and then delays again because most were defective. Despite the meeting with the owners on Monday (Oct 23) and their promises, the following day (Oct  24), they were again singing a different tune!

I sent my letter asking for a refund last Oct 24 and I have not heard anything from their company.   But just imagine the stress and inconvenience this company has caused me. But I figured, I have been through so much headaches with this company already when I haven’t even started the business - what's the point of continuing the franchise agreement?!  What's the point of promoting a company that you have had horrible experiences from?  I have lost my trust in that company and my personal experience so far is that it is bad business and bad service. 

As for getting our money back. . . . I remember what the owners said to us in our Oct 23rd meeting when we were complaining of their bad service: that they . . . "only earned P/ 8,000 from the money we paid for the promo".  I don’t know what that's supposed to mean and why exactly they had to tell us that when we are their customers who HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY OF OUR MONEY'S WORTH (P/ 55,000 (almost)) - promo or not promo.

Hope others can learn from my experience. . .

Thanks,
Denjie

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 10:00:49 pm »
Hello,

I just read this now.

HACCP is hardly "madugo" since you are in control of your process all the way.   You can customize it to make your operations faster.   In fact, if you start your business with HACCP in mind, you can realize future savings that is potentially bigger than your capital.

One major difference between HACCP and ISO: ISO NEEDS HACCP.   The newest standard (ISO 22000) requires that you have an existing HACCP system before you get certified.   HACCP can stand alone on its own.   Another thing: there is no such thing as a HACCP "standard", but rather HACCP guidelines because HACCP is meant to adapt to each organization's needs.

You will be surprised how many other companies smaller than the known franchises are HACCP-compliant here in the Philippines.   I've worked with SMEs and companies with less than PhP50,000 capitalization that is HACCP compliant.   The key is to start the business right.   90% of the problem in HACCP application stems from existing infrastructure that were wrongly made.   For instance, a company I worked with cannot have a HACCP compliant kitchen simply because their architect forgot to put a floor drain in their kitchen.   Imagine washing your kitchen and letting the water go out through the door.   To fix the problem, they would have to stop operations for a week or so and more than P50,000 worth of repairs.   They had to settle for cracking a portion of the wall to let the water out.

HACCP is a good solution for the food businesses of SMEs in the Philippines.   I would just like to dispell the misconception on its high incremental cost.   Operations cost only goes up if the business was not started right.

Cheers!

Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices

I visited the Agraryo Trade Fair at the SM Megamall yesterday and there was a 1-hour talk on HACCP.  So para pala'ng ISO rin ito where your business can get certified to ensure customers you've met certain standards (GMP, SSOP, etc)  with regards to food business.  Just like ISO, madugo rin pala (with standards and documentation) and at the moment medyo konti pa lang companies (mostly known franchises) ang compliant sa Pilipinas as well as accredited auditors. 

GerelRoa

• Business guru
  • Food Consultant
    • FoodBytes InfoServices
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 10:53:22 am »
Hi blessing,

I sent you an e-mail a few minutes ago.

Cheers!

Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices

Hi Gerel,

Pa request naman sir ng PM or pa e-mail para mas maintindihan ko pa ang HACCP.

Thanks.

Regards,

Blessing

Hello,

I just read this now.

HACCP is hardly "madugo" since you are in control of your process all the way.   You can customize it to make your operations faster.   In fact, if you start your business with HACCP in mind, you can realize future savings that is potentially bigger than your capital.

One major difference between HACCP and ISO: ISO NEEDS HACCP.   The newest standard (ISO 22000) requires that you have an existing HACCP system before you get certified.   HACCP can stand alone on its own.   Another thing: there is no such thing as a HACCP "standard", but rather HACCP guidelines because HACCP is meant to adapt to each organization's needs.

You will be surprised how many other companies smaller than the known franchises are HACCP-compliant here in the Philippines.   I've worked with SMEs and companies with less than PhP50,000 capitalization that is HACCP compliant.   The key is to start the business right.   90% of the problem in HACCP application stems from existing infrastructure that were wrongly made.   For instance, a company I worked with cannot have a HACCP compliant kitchen simply because their architect forgot to put a floor drain in their kitchen.   Imagine washing your kitchen and letting the water go out through the door.   To fix the problem, they would have to stop operations for a week or so and more than P50,000 worth of repairs.   They had to settle for cracking a portion of the wall to let the water out.

HACCP is a good solution for the food businesses of SMEs in the Philippines.   I would just like to dispell the misconception on its high incremental cost.   Operations cost only goes up if the business was not started right.

Cheers!

Gerel Roa
FoodBytes InfoServices

blessing_2000

• Novice
  • Business guru
  • Believe...It will happen...
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 12:58:01 pm »
Hi Gerel,

Thanks, nag reply na rin ako.  :)

Regards,

Blessing

Close