th images menu user export search eye clock list list2 arrow-left untitled twitter facebook googleplus instagram cross photos entrep-logo-svg

Kick start your day, May 26: No more #ChickenSad, hopefully

As Jollibee group, US-based Cargill to build, operate poultry plant in Batangas. Plus, PH Competition Commission to look into possible uncompetitive business practices in Internet services in the country.
By Entrepreneur Staff |


STEADY SUPPLY. The Jollibee Foods Corporation (JFC)-Cargill deal to build a poultry processing plant in Batangas aims to ensure steady supply of chicken dishes in all of JFC's brands. Photo from Jollibee Facebook page




No more #ChickenSad

Remember the July 2014 incident wherein homegrown fast food chain Jollibee ran out of Chickenjoy, plus other popular offerings due to an IT problem?



Perhaps a “horrific” incident like that would be avoided as Jollibee Foods Corporation entered into a joint venture deal with American agribusiness heavyweight Cargill to build and operate a poultry processing plant in Batangas.


Related: The untold story of how Jollibee came to bee


In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange on Wednesday, May 25, JFC said it had entered into an agreement with Cargill Philippines Inc. to form Cargill Joy Poultry Meats Production Inc. (CJPMPI) in Santo Tomas, Batangas. Cargill will hold a 70% stake in the venture while JFC will own the remaining 30%. JFC will also have a 30% stake in the realty firm from which CJPMPI will lease the land on which the processing plant will be located.


So how are we going to benefit from this deal? The plant would help boost JFC’s supply of dressed and marinated chicken. JFC is one of the largest buyers of chicken in the Philippines, and apart from Jollibee, it sells chicken in its other brands like Mang Inasal, Chowking, Greenwich, and Burger King franchise.



Related: How to build the next Mang Inasal


The partnership is estimated to create around 1,000 new full-time jobs and develop new opportunities in the farming community in Batangas and nearby provinces, since local poultry farmers are contracted to grow chicken to supply the requirements of the processing plant.


Looking forward to bucketfuls of Chickenjoy then!



You’ve been warned

The Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) vowed to look into possible uncompetitive business practices in the provision of Internet services.


Related: Access to affordable, fast broadband Internet a must, PH business groups stress


PCC Chair Arsenio M. Balisacan said on Wednesday on the sidelines of the public consultation on the implementing guidelines of the Republic Act (RA) No. 10667 or the Philippine Competition Act that since the incoming president (Rodrigo Duterte) is already giving that signal that he wants a competitive telco sector, that will make our job easier.


Related: NEDA's Balisacan moves to PH Competition Commission



After President-elect Duterte warned the two telecommunication companies in the country to “better improve their services,” PLDT Inc. and Globe Telecom issued separate statements supporting his heed on May 24.


Related: PLDT, Globe supports Duterteʼs call for faster Internet service


Balisacan added that it is high time this issue is being addressed, as the business process outsourcing sector—which largely contributes to the economy’s growth—is highly dependent on the telco industry.


The PCC chief added that he himself suffered from poor Internet service despite high costs shelled out by consumers, saying he experiences very bad service even if he already upgraded to a higher priced subscription. – Lynda C. Corpuz

Latest Articles