Almost one month after an attack that left 38 people dead and dozens injured, Resorts World Manila (RWM) reopened its casino and resumed gaming operations on Thursday, June 29.
The move comes as the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) lifted the suspension order of RWM’s provisional license to operate casinos and other gaming facilities.
The suspension was lifted following RWM’s presentation of its Casino Security Protective Action Plans. RWM said it passed the PAGCOR inspection that recognized how the enhancements and new emergency, safety and security protocols have been fortified since a lone attacker fired upon the premises and set parts of the casino and luxury hotel Maxim’s ablaze.
“With PAGCOR’s assistance and guidance, we can now start the difficult task of rebuilding as it is also our responsibility to take care of our 6,000 staff and personnel,” said Kingson Sian, RWM president and CEO.
Sian added that gaming operations will resume on the ground and third floors. The second floor, where much of the attack was concentrated, will no longer be used for casino operations and will instead be utilized for other non-gaming purposes.
RWM had earlier said it has engaged the services of an international security outfit, Blackpanda, to tighten the integrated resorts property’s external and internal security protocols. Composed of combat-seasoned individuals who have served at the highest levels of military special operations units from the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Hong Kong and the Philippines, Blackpanda specializes in crisis response, risk management, and security consulting.
RWM’s retail and dining outlets in its Newport Mall had opened two weeks ago on June 15.
Sian vowed that RWM will continue to put the best security and safety measures in place and will constantly review for upgrades as new technology and developments require. The company also committed to further intensify its coordination and joint drill sessions with the Philippine National Police and the Bureau of Fire Protection for various emergency situations.
Two committees in the House of Representatives—the Committee on Public Order and Safety and the Committee on Games and Amusement—opened an inquiry into the attack earlier this month.