Writers often pride themselves on their limitless creativity, but even they occasionally need an inspirational push. Luckily, other writers and creative people can help.
If you need a little inspiration this week, here are 13 witty and insightful quotes about writing.
1. “A sentence should never be cruel and unusual.” — William C. Burton, attorney
2. “If you can't explain something simply, you don't understand it well enough.” — Albert Einstein, physicist
3. “I have made this letter longer that usual because I lack the time to make it shorter.” — Blaise Pascal, mathematician
4. “Clarity begins at home.” — Edie Schwager, speaker with the American Medical Writers Association
5. “The trouble with so many of us is that we underestimate the power of simplicity.” — Robert Stuberg, author and speaker
6. “I never write ‘metropolis’ for seven cents when I can write ‘city’ and get paid the same.” — Mark Twain, author
7. “When writing about science, don't simplify the science; simplify the writing.” — Julie Ann Miller, former editor of Science News
8. “This report, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.” — Winston Churchill, former British prime minister
9. “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” — Stephen King, author
10. "All good writing begins with terrible first efforts. You need to start somewhere. — Anne Lamott, author
11. "Good writing is clear thinking made visible." — William Wheeler, journalist and author
12. "Easy reading is damn hard writing" — Nathaniel Hawthorne, author
13. “ No compulsion in the world is stronger than the urge to edit someone else's document.” — H. G. Wells, author
Copyright 2015 Entrepreneur Media, Inc. All rights reserved.
This article originally appeared on Entrepreneur.com. Minor edits have been done by the Entrepreneur.com.ph editor.
Photo from Pixabay