th images menu user export search eye clock list list2 arrow-left untitled twitter facebook googleplus instagram cross photos entrep-logo-svg

5 permits you need before starting a new business

Here are the five important permits you need to secure from your local government.
By Entrepreneur Staff |


Thinking of starting a business? After registering your startup with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) or the Securities and Exchnage Commission (SEC), you’ll also need to secure the permits below from your local government or the city/region where your business is located.


1. Barangay clearance
Where to get it: Barangay hall
Requirements: Registration certificate from the DTI or SEC and valid/government-issued identification cards. You should also have fire safety and electrical inspection certificates and present Lease of Contract of Site. 
Fee: P1,500 (may vary for each municipality or city)




2. Mayor’s permit (also known as business permit)
Where to get it: Municipal or city hall in the place where you will set-up your business
Requirements: Barangay clearance, registration certificate from DTI or SEC, valid IDs, and location map/sketch of your place of business. You will also need to secure a community tax certificate



3. Tax Registration Number (or TIN)
Where to get it: Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)
Requirements: Accomplished BIR forms 1901 or 1903, valid IDs, location sketch of your place of business, a copy of your mayor’s permit or municipal license, and registration certificate from the DTI or SEC
Fee: P500 plus 1% of subscribed capital for the documentary stamp



4. Special Permits
Depending on the nature of your business, you may also need to obtain special permits. If your home-based business, for example, will be dealing with food, chemicals, of any health-related product or service, a permit from the Department of Health’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) would be needed. 




5. Social Security
If you are hiring employees, you are required to register them for Social Security protection. Of course, you should get one for yourself as well.
Where to get it: Social Security System (SSS) office
Requirements: Accomplished SSS Form R-1 for employer registration, accomplished SSS Form R-1A that lists the names of your employees, and Articles of Partnership or Incorporation for partnerships or corporations.


You should also provide your employees with memberships in PhilHealth (Philippine Health Insurance Corporation) and PAG-IBIG (home development mutual fund), as mandated by the labor law. 

Latest Articles