th images menu user export search eye clock list list2 arrow-left untitled twitter facebook googleplus instagram cross photos entrep-logo-svg

Can I use my personal TIN for my business?

Our expert lists down the documents you need to submit to the BIR to obtain a business TIN
By |

Q: How do I go about obtaining a tax identification number or TIN for my business? I am registering it as a sole proprietorship. What documents do I have to submit? Can\\\'t I just use my old TIN from my employee days?

A: You\\\'ll get your business TIN when you go to the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to register your business.

If your business is a sole proprietorship, you will need to bring the following documents to the BIR Revenue District Office in the place where your business is located:


  • Your 2x2 colored picture with white background
  • Any valid ID which shows your name, address, and date of birth (passport, driver\\\'s license, etc.)
  • Mayor\\\'s permit for your business. If the permit has not been released yet, just bring proof of your application for the permit
  • The certificate of registration of your business name, which you\\\'ll need to get from the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) beforehand
  • Your personal tax identification number (TIN) card
  • A sketch of the location of your business 
  • Your birth certificate
  • Your marriage certificate, if any
  • The birth certificates of all your dependents aged 21 years or younger


If you already have a TIN, there is no need to apply for a separate TIN for the business. Simply submit all the above documents to the BIR officer handling your registration, fill up the required forms, and pay the registration fee.

You will have to attend a short briefing conducted by the BIR Examiner, after which you\\\'ll receive the certificate of registration of your business. You must display this certificate in a conspicuous place within the premises of your business.


Latest Articles