I recently got a request to create a video that answers the question, “Who makes better entrepreneurs—younger or older siblings?”
A lot of people have said things to me like, “I haven’t made it because I’m a younger sibling, and the older sibling has so many advantages.” But then the older sibling also often says they did not make it because they are the older sibling.
Here’s what I found out:
• You get bullied, which makes you tougher.
• You have someone to confide in.
• You have examples of mistakes to make and not make.
• You have a better teacher.
• You have a better example.
• You are not lonely—you have companionship.
• You have someone to compete against.
• You may mature earlier, due to hanging out with people who are older than you.
• You are in the shadow of the older sibling.
• You are babied a lot.
• There may be lower standards for you.
• You are constantly compared to the older sibling.
• You have experience in teaching.
• You have experience in discipline.
• You are raised in a higher standard environment.
• Parents demand more of you.
• More responsibility is given to you earlier.
• There are stricter rules for you.
• There are higher expectations for you.
• Mentally you look at yourself as a leader.
• You become a better communicator.
• Regardless of who does something wrong, the blame is put on you.
• You’re constantly being compared to the younger sibling.
• You are under pressure to perform and set a good example.
• You are expected to be the first in a lot of things.
The big question is, does birth order really make a difference when it comes to being an entrepreneur? Find out in the video!
Copyright © 2015 Entrepreneur Media, Inc. All rights reserved.
This article originally appeared on Entrepreneur.com. Minor edits have been done by the Entrepreneur.com.ph editors.
Photo from Thinkstock