Anita Buce’s advice on starting small and making it big in business:
• Be very hands-on. She herself goes to the palengke every day for her employees’ meals, checks the inventory in all warehouses during the day – including those in the delivery trucks before they leave the warehouse – and stays in her office way past midnight or until all the books are closed. These have allowed Buce to keep overhead costs down.
• Cash only please. Keeping all her transactions on cash basis leaves no room for deception, and has won for her bigger discounts from San Miguel.
• Stick to the winning formula. She has stayed with San Miguel because the relationship has been mutually beneficial.
• Be resourceful. Buce is one who never misses an opportunity to make money. During the Christmas holidays, she keeps her warehouses open round-the-clock to meet the huge demand for her beverages.
• Adjust. Although San Miguel is stricter with its dealers now, changing its policies to include fixed payments for its dealers, Buce has always been willing to adapt to these policy shifts.